Tuesday, December 20, 2011

The Convict Lover by Merilyn Simonds


I found this story very difficult to become interested in.  The idea is great: the fictionalization of real letters found  from a convict to a young woman outside Kingston Penitentiary.  The story floats between the two correspondents, but also tells the story of the superintendent of the prison, who is at times a very harsh man.  Something very early in the pages made this story inaccessible to me.  There is something missing, that's for sure.  I can see why Simonds added the character of the superintendent because there isn't enough story just between the prisoner and the woman, however it made things too complicated.  I just couldn't attach myself to this book as I have her previous novels, which are quite good.

No comments: