Saturday, December 3, 2011

Sassy Saturday: Painting Intuitively


I haven't had a lot of formal training in painting with acrylics.  It's something I've done through trial and error, but mostly something I've done intuitively.  

I started this painting, and I was planning on doing the same sort of farm silhouette I've been painting lately, except I'd use the fox-tails as the focus.  Once I got going, the fox-tails felt so bland.  They couldn't just be black.  I took some brown and made more in the background.  I took some black and brown and made a foreground.  I took some orange and made some highlights.  All this was done, and then I stood back and wondered how I knew to do that.

Well, I'm on to other ideas next.  I have two window frames that have two, small window panes in each, so I'm going to go back to farm silhouettes again.  I'm sure I'll know what to do.

No comments: