Wednesday, January 25, 2012

Artful Wednesday: Asymetrical Leather Tie Necklace


I saw a cool idea like this on Pinterest a few weeks ago, and I think I even blogged about doing it as a project.  Well, on a Saturday night, with Mumford & Sons on the stereo, I got out the glue gun (it's getting a work-out these days!) and puttered at making a necklace from a man's tie.


Because this is leather, it's really tough to sew as you would if the tie were silk.  I actually tried this out on a silk tie first, but this one turned out much, much better.  The folds shorten up the tie - you need only make as many as will keep it long enough to slip over your head.  I put two folds in the other side, just to be cute.  The pin isn't glued on, as it's one that I like to use frequently; however it's just the right size for this project.


The necklace looks best on garments with wide and deep necklines.  I tried it on with a narrow neckline, and it just didn't look right.  It didn't take too long to make - about half an hour when it was all said and done.  

No comments: