Thursday, January 19, 2012

The Horseman's Graves by Jacqueline Baker


This was a book that I picked up off the library shelf on a whim because it had a sticker on the spine that said "Canadian."  This is a very dark and tragic story.  It's set in the sand hill of southern Saskatchewan, and like the barren land, many of the people in the story are devoid of morals and spirit.  I think the environment that the story is set in dooms many of the characters from the start - they'll never get to be more than what they came from.  The plot line follows the community's pariah -  Leo Krauss - and his oddities, and how the people around him seem to come to ill ends while he lives on not caring.  You have to have an appreciation for an author who can write tragic prose without making it unreadable.  I think that's why I liked this story.

1 comment:

Nicola said...

Wasn't this book just wonderful?! I loved it so much! I read this when it first came out and keep checking to see if she's written a new book, but no such luck.