Sunday, January 15, 2012

Painting in Progress: The Harvest Queen - Finished!


This is one of those paintings that I'm sad I'm finished because I enjoyed doing it so much.  Trying to get the skirt just right drove me crazy, and I don't think it's as good as the rest of the picture, but I love how the rest of the painting turned out.  I really wanted to convey the softness of her expression in the photograph, and I think I managed that.  I've never done a face before in pastel - the last time I painted a figure in pastel, the face was obscured.  I'm really pleased with the end result!  And it's a departure from the farm landscapes I was doing, although next on my list of paintings to do (and yes, I have a painting to-do list) is this really beautiful sunset picture.  I plan to have it replace the large Renoir print in my living room.

No comments: