Monday, January 2, 2012

The Virgin Cure by Ami McKay


I wasn't sure if I would love this book as much as I loved McKay's debut novel, The Birth House.  They are two very, very different stories, but wow - The Virgin Cure was phenomenal!  It's going to be hard to follow the rest of the year when you start out with a book this good!  It's by a Canadian author, but it's not in a Canadian setting - does that make this Can Lit?  Not sure, but I loved the idea of following the story of a young woman living in poverty in the slums of New York City, with nowhere left to go but a brothel.  There are so many textures to this story - the characters, the levels of society, the settings - everything is immaculately factored into creating a complete picture of the time.  I really recommend this one!

2 comments:

Karen said...

I almost picked this one up the other day when I was in the bookstore. I LOVED Birth House. I do have a list of books to work through before anymore books can be purchased or borrowed, but it's on the list.

Jennifer said...

Ami McKay is American by birth, but now lives in Canada and is married to a Canadian, so I'm not sure if we can consider her writings CanLit...I hope not, because I like them. :-)