Saturday, February 4, 2012

Half-Blood Blues by Esi Edugyan


This novel is all that you've bee led to believe it is, and then some more.  I loved it.  The voice in which it was written was new and exciting - and so specific - I can't imagine anyone able to write so perfectly in someone else's voice as Edugyan.  When I picked up this book, I knew it was going to be a war-time story about starving musicians.  What I didn't realize was that it was going to be about so much more: the music, the friendships, the courtships, the secrets, the desperation.  It's such a fresh take on war-time fiction - I don't believe that time period has ever been told from this vantage point before.  It's so worthy of all the accolades it has garnered.  I cannot wait to read more from this author.

1 comment:

Medea said...

Me too! Hope she writes more, and more!