Wednesday, March 14, 2012

Reading Roundup


I've read all the books in Giles Blunt's series about Detective John Cardinal, and this being the last and latest, was amazing.  It had so many different layers, and then Blunt brings it all together for this amazing ending.  I found it to be one of the most grueling of his reads.  Now, Blunt doesn't shy away from from gruesome details - the last book of his I read was 'Blackfly Season', and it was tough going at times - but this was especially tough for me because I've lived a little bit of his storyline.  It ended, I loved it - of course.  Sometimes what is tough is what is the best for you.


This is the story of the biblical King David as told from the perspective of Michal, his first wife.  It reads like 'The Red Tent' with much more intrigue.  I found myself really liking Michal.  She was written to be such a solid character despite all the trauma that happens to her in this novel.  Although a great deal of the re-imagining is very unrealistic, it was still a fun read overall.

No comments: