Saturday, April 28, 2012

Alone in the Classroom by Elizabeth Hay


Although I haven't been posting as much reading lately, I still am reading quite a bit - just not a lot of fiction.  I recently finished a work of non-fiction about France in the time of Impressionism, from the perspectives of two prominent yet very different artists.  It was lovely. I've also been reading craft books to come up with ideas for my students, and that has been loads of fun.

This book, however, is the only work of Can Lit I've read this month.  Sad, I know!  But, this novel, written by the same author as the Giller Prize Winner: Late Nights on Air is a great piece of fiction.  I enjoyed it because of its breadth.  It begins around the Depression era in rural Saskatchewan, and follows the life of a school teacher as told through the eyes of her niece. 

Hay makes you hold onto her stories so tightly because they're so full of the unexpected.  I think she could have ended this story about 3/4s of the way through because close to the end if wasn't as interesting, however once you reach the end, you realize that the novel is as much about the narrator as it is about the main character.  An interesting approach.

No comments: