Saturday, July 14, 2012

Sassy Saturday: "Ah, Elsie!"


Have you ever been compared to someone by virtue of your words or behaviour?  As my family and I were sitting around our patio table, a neighbour came by to visit.  He is well into his eighties, grew up across the street from my parents' house, back when it was my great-grandparents' house.  Indeed, he is well versed with our family history.  My brother said something ridiculous, and I, being who I am, opened my mouth to opine his ridiculousness.  Our neighbour looked at me and said, "Ah, Elsie!"  

Yes, my great-grandmother was well-known for her stiff backbone and no-holds-barred tongue.  You knew where you stood.  She was also a pretty classy lady.  Could turn her hand to anything.  I was so lucky to be able to know her before she died when I was about 11 or 12.  I still remember the layout of her home, the way it smelled, and the banana bread she would make by the dozens.

The phrase "when I grown up I want to be..." doesn't really apply to me anymore.  But if I could, I'd want to grow up to be the kind of woman she was.

No comments: