Sunday, June 23, 2013

Sunday Meditations: Upon Being a Part-Time Artist


I've been a member of the local artists' association for a year and a bit now.  I've been painting - and either selling or giving away artwork for a lot longer.  But when people ask me what I do, I default to the old nugget: I'm a teacher, or behaviour therapist, or whatever.  I never say that I'm an artist.  It's not my full time job.

I got thinking, as I was painting one of my "minis" for an upcoming show in July, that there really is no such thing as a part-time artist.  Because even when I'm teaching, I'm still thinking - at least in the very back of my brain, or down deep in my soul, depending where the creativity for that day is coming from - of the art I'm making.  There's been a painting on my easel for months.  I'll get to it eventually - when the image in my mind matches the image I know I can do.

So I'm going to finish my minis, and I'm going to paint artwork for my show at the end of the year.  And I'll work my day job - and weekend job on the farm.  But when I'm really honest with myself, my real full time job is Artist.  Because it's the part of me that never turns off.

No comments: