Thursday, September 26, 2013

Thankful Thursday


When I was a little girl and would go to visit my great grandmother, she always had African Violets covering a little table in her front window.  She was a natural green thumb when it came to growing them.  Me, on the other hand, not so much.  I've had many different plants come and go in my homes, and none of them have managed to stay past the first blooming.  

Except for this time.

I bought three miniature African Violets at the grocery store, thinking that they'd be a great housewarming gift to myself. And I also did something a little different in my usual care routine.  I actually took care of them.  I didn't forget them.  I didn't think they'd water themselves.  I didn't think they'd stay forever beautiful and blooming.  

You'd think with all my agricultural background - I even took a greenhouse course in college for Heaven's Sake! - that I'd have a little more plant-sense... alas, maybe I finally do.  My violets aren't the only thing that I've managed to keep alive.  I've got an ever-increasing-in-size Christmas Cactus, an Umbrella plant, and three different succulents.  Not bad for someone whose thumb was a little off-green for so long.  I think Nanny Elsie would be somewhat pleased.

No comments: